When the summer heat hits, there’s nothing more essential than a well-functioning air conditioning unit. However, your AC compressor can sometimes fail, leading to a hot and uncomfortable living space. Feel free to contact Priority Heating & Air if you experience any such problem since we have expert and experienced AC contractors available in Phenix City, AL, and the neighboring areas.
If you suspect that your AC compressor is not working correctly, there are several things you can check before calling in a professional. Here are some steps to help you troubleshoot a defective AC compressor:
- Check The power supply: The first thing you should check when troubleshooting a defective AC compressor is the power supply. Ensure the unit is correctly plugged in and the circuit breaker or fuse hasn’t tripped. If the circuit breaker or fuse has tripped, it could indicate an electrical issue that needs professional attention.
- Inspect The wiring: If the power supply is functioning correctly, the next step is to inspect the wiring. Check for any damaged or disconnected wires, and make sure all connections are secure. Loose or damaged wiring can cause electrical issues that affect the compressor’s ability to function correctly.
- Check The refrigerant level: If your compressor is not producing cool air, the issue could be due to low refrigerant levels. Check your AC system’s refrigerant level to see if it needs to be refilled. If you suspect a refrigerant leak, contact our professional immediately. Low refrigerant levels can cause the compressor to overwork, leading to further damage.
- Listen For Unusual Sound: Defective compressors can produce strange sounds such as clicking, humming, or rattling. Listen carefully to your AC unit and try to identify any unusual sounds. These sounds can indicate a more significant issue, and you should call a professional to diagnose and repair the problem.
- Check The Capacitor: The capacitor is responsible for starting the compressor motor. If your capacitor is defective, your compressor may not start at all. Check for any signs of damage, such as cracks, leaks, or bulges. A faulty capacitor can cause the compressor to work harder than it should, leading to further damage.
- Check The fan: The fan is responsible for cooling the compressor, so if it’s not working correctly, your compressor may overheat and shut down. Check the fan blades for any damage or debris, and make sure the motor runs smoothly. If you notice any issues with the fan, contact a professional to repair or replace it.
- Check The Compressor Itself: If all the other troubleshooting steps fail to identify the problem, it may be an issue with the compressor itself. Inspect the compressor for any signs of damage or wear and tear, such as oil leaks or rust. A defective compressor may need to be replaced, so it’s essential to call our professional to diagnose and repair the issue.
If you’re uncomfortable troubleshooting the problem yourself or suspect a more significant issue, it’s best to call a professional like Priority Heating & Air to diagnose and repair it. Our skilled and experienced AC contractors can quickly identify and resolve any compressor issues, ensuring your home stays relaxed and comfortable during the hot summer months.
Reliable AC Services In Priority Heating & Air
At Priority Heating & Air, we understand the importance of having a properly functioning AC system, and we are proud to be your trusted air conditioner contractor in Phenix City. Our expert technicians are available to provide prompt and reliable AC services, from routine maintenance to emergency repairs. Whether you need to help troubleshoot a defective AC compressor or require a complete unit replacement, we have the knowledge and experience to handle all AC problems. Our professionals work diligently to get your AC system back up and running as quickly as possible so that you can enjoy cool, comfortable air throughout your home. Contact us today for efficient and reliable AC services from your trusted air conditioner contractor in Phenix City!