The majority of homeowners are still looking for ways to save money on their energy bills. Turning off your AC when you’re not at home isn’t an excellent method to save money. It can cause your home’s humidity, heat, and moisture levels to rise. Mold spores, uncomfortable temperatures when you return, and many other problems could ensue.
Why is it Hazardous to Turn Off Your Air Conditioner?
The purpose of your HVAC system is to cool the air in your home. It also dehumidifies the air to ensure adequate ventilation and comfort. As a result, shutting it off altogether causes humidity levels to climb by up to 60%. This draws insect infestations and makes your home suitable for mold growth. According to experts like the air conditioner contractor in Phenix City, the humidity level in your HVAC system should be set between 45 and 55 percent.
When is it Advisable to Turn Off Your Air Conditioner?
- If You’re Going to Open The Windows: It’s essential to open windows in the spring to improve the indoor air quality. Your home has primarily been recirculating the same stale air for six months. Professionals like AC repair in Phenix City advise that the fresh air can be distributed throughout the house by opening the windows.
- If You’re Planning to Keep it Off For a Long Time: More than 4 hours is considered a lengthy period. When you’re at work or the weather is pleasant enough that your home doesn’t require air conditioning, it’s OK to turn it off.
- While You’re Away: Turn your thermostat up to 7-10 degrees if you’re leaving the house for several hours. It controls the indoor humidity level, ensuring that your home is comfortable when you return. No one wants to return home to a stifling, humid environment.
- Pro Tip: With a programmable thermostat, you can customize the temperature in your home to whatever you want it to be. You won’t have to remember to adjust the thermostat when you leave. You won’t have to cool a house that isn’t occupied.
How Can One Keep The AC Running Efficiently?
- While you don’t want to turn your air conditioner off entirely during the summer months, you also don’t want it running full blast. After all, air conditioners consume a lot of energy and account for a significant portion of your energy cost.
- The ideal strategy is to set your air conditioner to around 78 degrees (F) when not home. The specialists like AC repair in Phenix City recommend this number because it achieves a nice mix between keeping your house comfortable and conserving energy.
- Your AC works in cycles, releasing air 15-20 degrees cooler than the ambient temperature. After then, your thermostat will determine whether or not more cycles are required to attain the temperature set on your thermostat. Because 78 degrees is a relatively warm setting, your air conditioner should realize that no other processes are needed quickly.
Contact the HVAC experts at Priority Heating & Air today to learn more about how you can save money on your cooling bills. If you seek an air conditioner contractor in Phenix City, we can help. Call us at 3342979820 or drop us a mail here.